Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot

Wild Vines Blackberry MerlotPrice: $4
Maker: E&J Gallo Winery, Modesto, California
Varietal: None, Really
Packaging: 750 ml bottle, screw cap
Alcohol: 6%
Our Rating: 3 out of 10

Some train wrecks are avoidable, and so would our tasting Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot had we paid the least bit of attention before grabbing it off the shelf. The “Merlot” label did us in. Merlot, blackberries… sounds like a fruit-forward wine with a berry twist, right? Wrong. Had we checked the label, we would have found the real clues. The first indicator would have been the alcohol content on the front of the bottle: at 6%, this beverage is less than half the strength of a typical Merlot. Even more revealing would have been the ingredients list. (When was the last time you saw a real wine with an ingredients list?) The first ingredient is Merlot, which is immediately worrisome… and it’s downhill from there. The next ingredients are carbonated water, dextrose, and fructose… not items one would ever find in even the worst wines. What we have is a sort of wine cooler beverage, despite referring to itself as a “fine wine product”. If we have any excuse (other than not paying attention) for buying this product, it’s that it was in the wine section (not the wine cooler section) and it was under four dollars. We know our readers rely on us for cheap wine ideas, and are always willing to take a chance on something different.

If you read the ingredients before tasting, you won’t be surprised to find that Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot is very sweet, slightly carbonated, with little real wine flavor. It’s a lot more like raspberry soda (or raspberry pop, if you prefer) than wine. The color is a pale red, also rather like raspberry soda. The Wild Vines website puts a better spin on this product, calling it “a fruity and delicious Merlot enhanced by the bright taste of sweet ripe blackberries.”

We just commented on Gallo Twin Valley Shiraz, noting that it was not too bad. Whatever ground Gallo gained with that one was lost with this “wine product.”

Why do we try this stuff? To save YOU from buying it. Take our word for it – unless you are looking for a raspberry soda-like beverage with an imperceptibly slight alcoholic kick, avoid Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot like the proverbial plague.

22 thoughts on “Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot

1. George Miller

I couldn’t agree more with your point of view, but if the blackberry merlot were in the vine cooler area (where it belongs) it would be an ok choice.

2. Brent Smith

I made the same mistake. The liquor store had a nice display, with several missing bottles and a fairly cheap price ($8.99) for 1 1.5 lilter bottle. I pourded a glass when I got home and notice the pale color and slight fizz. I then read the label and noticed it was a Blackberry Merlot. I took a taste and knew something was strange. I read the lable – 6% alchohol. The stuff is lame! I am ready to pour it out and head out and spend some money on a decent bottle of merlot. My advice – don’t waste you money on this stuff!

3. Terri

I am not a big fan of merlot, but a friend bought this bottle because it was “Blackberry” and I tried some and I thought that it was great. But I like sweet wines. I have actually been looking for it again. so I guess if you like foo foo tasting alcohol than you will like this! I wasn’t dissapointed at all!

4. Fran

I also found it to be what I had been looking for. Not being able to find a good berry liqueur ended up buying this since it was cheap and wasn’t boones. I love sweet wines like spumante yet I’m not a fan of carbonation. This blueberry merlot didn’t have any carbonation that I could detect and went down smoothly. It definitely shouldn’t be considered a wine per se but it was exactly what I was expecting not being a big fan of wine in the first place (oddly enough being from Italy).

5. Kendra

I love this wine. You’d have to be crazy not to like this smooth sweet tase. It is great todrink with dinner or a special occassin.

6. Lucia

I drank this wine last night at a party and was blown away by it’s fruity smooth taste. I do not care for strong wines, but do like this light, sweet taste. After having gastric-by-pass surgery years ago I cannot process much alchohol so this was a joy to find such a great tasting wine that didn’t “EXPLODE” my stomach with carbonation or alchohol. Actually I found the tast to be wonderful. Others at the party were enjoying it also. Perhaps we are not wine connoisseurs but to find a wine I can enjoy, and not “HURT” after drinking it, is awesome. I guess it is all a matter of taste but inexpensive can be great too. Your review was helpful to understand wines a little better, but will not deter me from buying this great wine for my taste, budget and health needs. GREAT JOB, “WILD VINES”!

7. Lynn

I just finished a glass of the blackberry merlot and I love it. But I do not like the taste of liqour, so hey this was great. When drinking mixed drinks I perfer malibu mango flavor and orange juice , so I like sweet stuff, lol. Anyway if you want to join everyone else in a bottle of wine but don’t want that nasty taste of the “good ones” lol, bring this bottle with you and let whoever drink the other stuff.

8. Ineke Spoelstra

Can you buy this blackberry merlot in the Netherlands? If so can you tell me where?
    I was just visiting the state of Washington and I loved this wine!

9. Gina

I also like this “wine”. Normally, I do not like most wines that I have tried – too nutty, too dry, etc. I like sweet flavors and this was just right for me. If you are a serious connoisseur, this is probably not for you, but if you just want to try something sweet and light, this is pretty good stuff. Arbor Mist also makes a blackberry merlot. It tastes just about the same as this. I find it difficult to tell the two apart.

10. Ponnie

Dear Sir/Madam,

Great, lovely sweet wine, i want to know about:
    how can i borrow this product in HK
    or how to order by shipment to HK?

Please let me know!!
    thanks very much

Ponnie

11. Jackie

My daughter served some of this wine at her house and I loved it! I don’t like strong wines, and this is a nice alternative for me. I buy it from time to time.

12. Adrienne

What this is: wine for the elderly. Flat out. My mother loved wine and was very particular about her tastes. But now that she’s in her late 80s she thinks “real” wine is bitter, and she LOVES this blackberry merlot. You do see all of the older folks loading up their carts at the local grocery that carries it! The low alcohol content is perfect because we don’t want her schnockered anyway. It’s a lovely bottle and makes a nice presentation to a senior loved one. Don’t feel bad about not having a superior vintage. They like what they like!

13. Gloria

I truly enjoy this wine not only because it taste good but also because its only 6% alcohol content, it leaves you feeling good but not stinking drunk! I can wake up in the morning feeling good, and not miserable from too much alcohol! Thank You Wild Vines and please make your product more available!

14. afterpickey

I seen this at the store one day {never cared for red wine} but seen blackberry hey I love blackberries and it’s only 3.66 I’ll give it a try I’ve been drinking it for 2 years love the stuff beats all other alcohol with less side affects the most I have drank at 1 time is one & half large bottles by my self it was good felt good too