Maker: HRM Rex Goliath Wines, Gonzales, Monterey County, California
Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon
Packaging: 750 ml bottle, natural cork
Our Rating: 8 out of 10
We were looking forward to trying Rex Goliath Cabernet Sauvignon after sampling the Rex Goliath Merlot. The cab is good, though I liked the Merlot a bit more. The aroma leads with berries and spice, and the flavor is a nice mix of plum, cherry, chocolate, and pepper. The finish lingers nicely. This isn’t a big cab – more of a medium bodied wine, with a flavor that has the broad appeal of a quality mass-market wine.
Some tasters seemed to like it a bit more – earlier versions of this wine have earned some nice honors:
- Gold Medal, 94 Points & Best of Region! – 2003 California State Fair
- Double Gold Medal! – 2003 International Eastern Wine Competition
- Gold Medal! – 2004 New World International Wine Competition
- Gold Medal! – 2003 West Coast Wine Competition
- Gold Medal! – 2003 San Diego National Wine Competition
- Gold Medal & Best of Class! – 2003 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
The Silk Road of Wine Blog reports on an article in the SF Chronicle judging the Rex Goliath cabernet to be a top pick.
All in all, this is a fun wine for informal entertaining or enjoying on the patio with grilled steak.